About The Center for Global Education
The Center for Global Education (CGE) at The Catholic University of America (CUA) implements the university's strategic goal of internationalization by serving as the hub for international educational activities at CUA. Its overall role is to coordinate, build and strengthen international programs, services and initiatives university-wide.
CGE supports schools in their efforts to bring global perspectives into their curricula and courses of study by working with them to improve business practices associated with managing international programs, develop new strategic programs and initiatives that incorporate best practices available, facilitate the administrative flow of students and faculty as they engage in international programs, increase the number of international agreements and Memoranda of Understanding signed between CUA and foreign partner institutions, and offer a wide array of international educational programs.
CGE's mission is to foster a sense of international community that builds on the university's strong intellectual and Catholic mission. CGE coordinates and facilitates university-wide global education by sponsoring international exchanges of students and faculty and serving as a resource for departments and schools on campus that undertake international initiatives. In coordinating international initiatives, CGE advances the international character of the university by promoting, supporting, and developing a wide range of international and intercultural educational opportunities for members of the CUA community.
CGE includes three units:
The Office of Education Abroad (CUAbroad) develops and administers international educational opportunities overseas for CUA and non-CUA students in coordination with CUA academic and administrative units as well as other institutions in the U.S. and abroad.
The Office of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) is responsible for institutional compliance with immigration-related federal regulations and facilitates the legal entry and acculturation of international students, faculty and visiting scholars by providing immigration and cultural advising and programming and by serving as the university's official liaison to the federal government for immigration-related issues.
The Intensive English Program (IEP) is is an ESL academic program for undergraduate and graduate students who need to increase their English language proficiency before or after admission to a degree-granting program at the Catholic University of America.
CGE offers the following services to the CUA community:
- Provides university-wide international strategic vision
- Provides university-wide guidelines and standards (i.e. overseas crisis management, health, safety and liability overseas)
- Follows and ensures best practices in matters of education abroad
- Oversees and coordinates university-wide international agreements and Memoranda of Understanding
- Coordinates the hosting of international visiting scholars, including Fulbright scholars, and visiting delegations
- Acts as a clearinghouse for CUA international programs and services
- Covers CUA overseas program participants with emergency evacuation insurance
- Supports schools in their efforts to internationalize their curricula
- Provides staff and faculty training in overseas program management
- Administers a variety of education abroad programs around the globe (short-term, semester/year long, internships)
- Issues the International Student and Teacher Identity Cards (ISIC and ITIC)
- Hosts education abroad and travel resource library
- Assists international students, scholars and faculty with immigration-related advising and cultural advising and programming
- Serves as the university's official liaison to the federal government for immigration-related issues
CGE will aim to enhance the presence and visibility of global education at CUA by:
- Providing university-wide centralized support and coordination for international programs, services and initiatives
- Assisting schools with business processes and best practices in the field of international education
- Establishing a CUA-wide Global Education Committee comprised of key academic personnel who will act as liaisons with CGE and provide the connection between CGE and the global academic priorities of each school
- Establishing a new Education Abroad Office, CUAbroad, which will offer professional services to students, staff and faculty, and offer a wide array of short-term and semester/year long education abroad offerings
- Providing professional immigration and cross-cultural services to CUA departments and international students and scholars, and creating a cultural bridge between American and international students and scholars
- Maintaining and developing the range of domestic and international agreements and Memoranda of Understanding signed between CUA and partner academic institutions
- Strengthening and defining the university's international character by encouraging the formation of cross-cultural connections at various levels across the university. CGE's long term goal is to help brand CUA as an international university, lead it to become more competitive in the international education arena, and ultimately help with the recruitment and retention of quality students, staff and faculty.