The Catholic University of America

International Travel

Though separated from the CUA campus, the university nonetheless acknowledges a level of responsibility for the safety and security of all members of the CUA community traveling abroad for professional or academic purposes. During emergencies, it is therefore especially important that CUA be able to promptly and accurately locate all university members currently abroad, as well as take steps to secure their safety and well-being.

For these reasons, all faculty, staff, and students traveling under the university's auspices must enroll in the CUA Travel Registry or (if participating as a student in a group travel program) submit an online application through the Office of Education Abroad. All university travelers will then be automatically enrolled in the CUA international insurance policy, as outlined below. For further details, consult the relevant university policies listed here.

CUA Travel Registry

Registration is required for all CUA faculty, staff, and accompanying dependents whenever traveling abroad for university-related activities.

The Travel Registry is a confidential database used to maintain key information for CUA faculty, staff and accompanying dependents traveling to international destinations. The Registry is the official and authoritative source of traveler information that forms the basis for the University’s emergency response protocols and communications strategy when responding to an emergency or critical incident abroad. Information from the Travel Registry will be used to enroll CUA travelers in the University's international insurance automatically.

Individual students should register using the website if participating in a university program abroad, whether academic or co-curricular.  They should register using the Travel Registry if accompanying a faculty member on an individual trip abroad for research, a conference, or other university-related reason. 

International Insurance

Information on the CUA international health and emergency evacuation insurance required for all CUA faculty, staff, and accompanying dependents traveling abroad for university-related activities. Links include access instructions, summary of benefits, claims form, and more. Enrollment in the insurance is automatic upon completion of the CUA Travel Registry form.

The Office of Education Abroad will send the registered traveler an international insurance card to carry while abroad, usually within one to two weeks of completing the Travel Registry. The invoice will typically follow one to two weeks after that.  Although in some instances, a traveler's office or department may pay for their insurance, ultimately it is the responsibility of the traveler to cover the cost. Insurance rates are available from the Office of Education Abroad upon request.


Contact the Office of Education Abroad at or call (202) 319-6010.


Enrollment in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is required for CUA travelers going abroad. STEP is a service provided for US citizens and will

  • Give you important information from the Embassy about safety conditions in your destination country, helping you make informed decisions about your travel plans.
  • Help the U.S. Embassy contact you in an emergency, whether natural disaster, civil unrest, or family emergency.
  • Help family and friends get in touch with you in an emergency.

Non-US citizens should instead sign up for the Department of State Travel Alerts and Warnings program.